RAC 10g interconnect resilient configuration

  • From: "Luca Canali" <Luca.Canali@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:53:14 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to find a good HA configuration for the interconnect network
of RAC on Linux (10gR2 on RHEL 3). I have redundant switches and NICs
for the interconnect. From my tests and from Oracle documentation I see
that RAC can handle network (switch) failures, by simply bypassing the
failed network, while unfortunately 10gR2 clusterware can only be
configured to use 1 network (if that fails all RAC nodes but one go
down).
From metalink Note:220970.1 I found a reference to using NIC bonding
(unfortunately the link to the doc is broken, which is not a good start
for an HA doc).
I wonder whether implementing bonding is a good idea for the RAC
interconnect, besides the extra complexity, I am afraid of loosing
scalability regarding RAC (cache fusion) being able to load balance over
the NICs (as it does in the 'normal' configuration).

Any thoughts/ experiences to share on this?

Thanks,
L.

Luca Canali
Information Technology Department
CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research
Geneva, Switzerland