Re: Quick migration question

  • From: Tanel Põder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 02:00:15 +0300

The upgrade speed doesn't really depend on how much actual data you got in
your tables.
The most time-consuming job in an upgrade like this, is the migration of
data dictionary and recompilation of objects. Other changes, like changing
controlfiles, datafile headers, logfiles and rollback segments, will usually
take little time.

Oracle will NOT go through any datafile to change or reformat any datablocks
during the upgrade (it didn't do so even when the data block format changed
fundamentally between version 7.3 and 8, it just reformatted required blocks
later on, "on the fly").

So if you don't have much more objects and PL/SQL in your current system
than the last one upgraded (and don't have tens of thousands of datafiles),
you should be able to complete your upgrade about in the same timeframe than
the last one.
I'd say in less than couple of hours without any tweaks or tricks, given
than you could recompile your PL/SQL & other objects in parallel.

It's possible to get the upgrade process very fast - but this means
unsupported parameters & techniques.

Tanel.