Re: Queueing Theory in Oracle

  • From: Ls Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 21:23:10 +0100

Hi

I thought the reasons of getting normal data distribution was probably how
the test is run. Since it's a constant 300/420 users running probably 30 or
40 different SQL statements ( I dont know how many are there in a TPC
test), the server was only 18% loaded, the database metric I used were
gathered from v$sysmetrc (so I have metric rates in per second unit
gathered every minute), all mix together the distribution I got was normal,
I even took the sample data and used Cary's mdist.pl to see if the data was
exponentially distributed and all were rejected. After checking that and
think a bit then I think the normal data distribution is expected, if I am
running 16 TPC transactions per second and there are few in the lower side
a few in the higher side and most were in the middle then of course it's a
normal data distribution, why should I expect it to be exponentially
distributed?

I used TPS as arrival rate and little's law to get the service time (used
host cpu as utilization)

system utilization = (arrival rate * service time) / number of servers

The service time was normal distributed as well

So using the TPC test sample data, the formulas I could find (I have
downloaded probably 20 PPT from 7 or 8 universities statistics courses)
they just dont "glue" together in an Oracle Database and that is why I am
asking if anyone has successfully used queueing theory in Oracle so at
least I can get some points and see what I am dong wrong :-)

Thanks

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx