Questions for a Jr. DBA

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 20:06:24 -0300

So, I am in the process of reviewing resumes from several JR and SSR
candidates for the team. The question I came up with is, what kind of
questions (technical) should I ask during the interview. I can't use the
same questions I'd use with a Sr. DBA.

The questions i've come up with so far are the following:
1. Difference between EXTENT and BLOCK
2. Difference between USER and ROLE. When would you use each?
3. Command to extend a Tablespace (tricky question? should it be datafile?)
4. Command to backup controlfiles (all you can think of)
5. Steps to switch archivelog on or off.
6. Minimum requirements in order to take a level 1 online backup (tricky
question?)
7. What are the minimum required files to be backed up in order to be able
to recreate the database from scratch in the event of complete media
failure?

I may come up with more, but that's what I have so far...

thanks in advance
Alan.-