Re: Questions about Postgres and Oracle

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 20:31:37 +1100

kyle Hailey wrote,on my timestamp of 21/12/2012 4:05 AM:

> Postgres looks pretty cool to me. Nothing against Oracle.
> And a number of or clients are going Oracle -> Postgres so I'm keenly
> interested in the issues and feasibility.

We've been using Postgres for all our web-related dbs for years now.
Not only is it heaps cheaper than Oracle, it's reached a level nowadays where
it
is quite usable.  Regardless of the perorations of Stonebraker - who has been
remarkable silent since his last "take over the Oracle world" crusade fizzled
before it even started... - Postgres is a viable alternative.  And it actually
can interface with Oracle quite well through the HS magic.
Not about to move our DW to it but a lot of other smaller stuff is being
seriously considered.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto