Re: Question regarding lob column

  • From: Maureen English <sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jack@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 16:00:12 -0800

Thanks Jack,

The user was supposed to be deleting records older than 6 months, but
that never happened.  Now, 14 months later, after the tablespace has
grown to 32G, they're ready to delete rows and want to see that the
delete really does free up the space.  I just want to be able to run
a few queries to show them that the space really was made available.

I do expect that I will only need to do this once, then, as time goes
by rows will get added, then they will run the purge job on a monthly
basis.  Hopefully, oracle will reuse the space made available by the
deletes, instead of taking new extents, and we won't have to keep
adding datafiles...we limit our datafiles to 2G each.

- Maureen

Jack van Zanen wrote:
Delete does not free up space in the tablespace. It frees up space within the table that can quite possibly be reused. If you need to free up space within the tablespace you need to reorg the table, which is a waste of time if you are not going to be deleting regularly. It will simply grow again. Jack

2009/5/7 Maureen English <sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:sxmte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    Hi,

    We have a table that has a lob column.  The table is in tablespace
    A, the lob storage is
    in tablespace B (with an associated index).

    Every month a job runs and adds more data to this table, so we've
    had to add datafiles
    on a regular basis.  Now the user wants to delete some data so we
    don't have to keep
    adding datafiles, but can reuse some of the space that's already
    been allocated to the
    tablespaces.

    So, I got a rowcount from the table before the user deleted
    anything, and I also got the
    bytes and extents values from dba_segments for the tablespaces.

    The user then proceeded to delete at least 1/3 of the rows in the
    table.  When I did my
    queries again, the rowcount had changed as expected, but the bytes
    and extents values
    didn't change for the segments in dba_segments.  There were 172
    extents before and there
    are 172 extents after the delete.

    Any ideas as to why no extents appear to have been freed up?

    We don't have Grid Control or EM available, so I can't see any
    pictures of space usage....

    - Maureen

Jack van Zanen

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Thank you for your cooperation