Question regarding db_file_scattered_read

  • From: "Johnson, George" <GJohnson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 14:24:25 +0100

        I have a DB on a Solaris box, the system that is almost at 100%
utilisation, I'm not overly worried as no one is complaining, yet. I am
simply trying to identify where the resources are being consumed, partly
curiosity and partly in the hope of preventing a potential future problem.

        I have been over the wait stats and found that the system spends
it's time, almost exclusively, making users wait on db_file_scattered_read,
about 30% of their session time, in fact. However the OS reports hardly any
I/O wait time, the system resources are being used up by user CPU. I believe
the entire SGA is little too small, I am wondering if the scattered_read
waits are a result of the SGA and/or buffer cache being too small or would a
buffer cache that is too small, more likely result in buffer_busy_waits or
have I got my thinking completely backside-about-face!? All the notes I can
find relate db_file_scattered_read to an I/O performance problem, which from
what I can tell from the OS, I don't seem to have.

        Any pointers in the direction I should start off in next, would be
greatly appreciated.

        Rgds

for the individual or entity named.  If you are not the named addressee
you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not
message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
This message is provided for informational purposes and should not
be construed as an invitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
related financial instruments.
GAM operates in many jurisdictions and is
regulated or licensed in those jurisdictions as required.