Re: Question re DataGuard

  • From: "Ray Feighery" <rjfeighery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:26:00 +1100

Hello Bill

The last time I set this up, I used the Data Guard Broker (dgmgrl) and
found it very easy to use, but I assume the results will be the same.

"does the managed recovery process persist through a restart of the
standby database"

Yes, as long as you don't open the standby database. One problem can
occur if you use the standard dbstart scripts to restart the database
for example on server reboot. You should only mount (not open) the
standby database.

"Is there a way other than querying the v$archived_log view to
determine if the managed recovery process is in fact running"

Just force a logfile switch and check the alert log of the standby
database. You will see the log being applied.

"Lastly, what are the ramification, if any, of issuing the command if
the managed recovery process has already been started."

I don't think it has any ramifications, but I haven't tested this.

Some useful links for you:

Oracle10g Release 2, Data Guard Switchover and Failover best practices
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/MAA_WP_10gR2_SwitchoverFailoverBestPractices.pdf

Oracle 10g Release 2, Data Guard Fast-Start Failover best practices
(automatic database failover)
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/MAA_WP_10gR2_FastStartFailoverBestPractices.pdf

Oracle 10g Release 2, Client Failover Best Practices
http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/pdf/MAA_WP_10gR2_ClientFailoverBestPractices.pdf

Ray