Question re Data Guard Configuration

  • From: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:09:03 -0800

Greetings,

I am new to Data Guard and have a question concerning configuration. I
am running Oracle EE 10.2.0.3.0 on RHEL4 and setting up a physical
standby. I haven't been able to find a specific answer to this question
in the documentation and hoping someone can help. In the primary I the
following is set...

SQL> show parameter name

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE
------------------------------------ -----------
------------------------------
db_file_name_convert                 string      /opt/oracle/edrs/,
/opt/oracle
                                                 /edrs/
db_name                              string      edrs
db_unique_name                       string      edrs
global_names                         boolean     FALSE
instance_name                        string      edrs
lock_name_space                      string
log_file_name_convert                string      /opt/oracle/edrs/,
/opt/oracle
                                                 /edrs/
service_names                        string      edrs

I understand that on the standby server the db_unique_name must be
unique but it is not clear to me whether the db_name,instance_name and
service_names must also be unique. From some of the examples I have
found it appears that the db_name and instance_name may be the same but
I am not sure. I also don't find anything indicating that the
service_names parameter must also be different on each node. It doesn't
seem like it needs to be but I'm not sure. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center