Re: Question on diff block sizes in DB

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 03:07:57 -0400

Indexes were cached normally, with all other database objects. The tables
in question were 20+GB in size (all Bloomberg data about north american stock
exchanges, so called NAMR_EQUITY OUT and PX files, for more then 2 years) and
the 16KB  buffer pool of 80MB was used for full table scan. All other indexes,
both bit-mapped and B*Tree were 8k  and were properly cached. That  way I reaped
the benefits of the faster full table scan for the huge NAMR tables and I didn't
interfere much with the rest of the objects. This 16k buffer pool was, in
essence, a recycle buffer pool with a different blocksize, to facilitate
faster full table scans. Indexes were unaffected, and that was the idea. It
would
be great to use compressed tables, because it would really give the big range
scans
a boost, but it would prevent me from adding columns and that would be bad,
because our beloved mayor of the New York City sometimes adds new columns
to the files.

On 04/18/2004 01:46:52 AM, "Hitchman, Peter" wrote:
> Hi,
> Just picking out the point you made about indexes. What benefits have you
> observed by having indexes in a tablespace with a different block size from
> its table?
>
> Regards
>
> Pete

Mladen Gogala