Question on UNDO segment transition in an active database

  • From: Ram K <lambu999@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 04:02:21 -0700

Hi all,
  =20
   I was reading Orafaq about Auto Undo management. According to it,
one can have multiple UNDO tablespaces per database, but only one can
be active at a given time (per instance). But, at any time the DBA can
switch to a different undo tablespace by changing the UNDO_TABLESPACE
parameter on-line (ALTER SYSTEM).
  =20
   I am wondering how the switchover happens in a case where there are
hundreds of active transactions. If there can be only one Undo
tablespace where would the active transactions using the old Undo
tablespace go during a switchover. Do they get switched over to the
newer one (in the middle of the transaction) before the newer undo TS
is brought online? Any points to consider while switching over when
the system is experiencing high activity.

--=20
Thanks,
Ram.