Re: Question for RMAN guru's

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Les.Hollis@xxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 18:59:26 -0400

On 10/4/05, Hollis, Les <Les.Hollis@xxxxxx> wrote:

>  I am being told that I could recover a database under 9i with backupsets
> that were backed up under 8i.
>
>  Scenario:
>
>  8i database (8.1.7.4 <http://8.1.7.4>) on AIX
>
> Backup taken using RMAN
>
> Upgrade DB to 9.2.0.5 <http://9.2.0.5> (that level determined by 3rd party
> application only certified to .5)
>
> NO backup taken after upgrade due to time constraints and lack of disk
> space for backup
>
> Lose database and need to recover
>
> Restore 8i filesets and recover them under 9i
>
> Hasn't happened yet…..we are just projecting….
>
> Can this be done……
>
> According to 3rd party vendor yes with only 3 init.ora settings

Was the rman backup set created online or offline (in other words, will it
require recovery)?
I can recall attempting to make consistent an 8.1.7 hot physical backup set
with 9.2 binaries prior to an upgrade (cross-version cloning on test
hardware).

It wasn't pretty. It was tossed and a cold, consistent backup set was used
for the test upgrade.

Redo log formats have a habit of changing between major releases.

In general, you will want to have a cold backup set (or offline rman backup
set - mounted) for opening with the newer version.

How did your tests turn out?

Paul

(that testing was on w2k3 32 bit, with 9.2.0.5.3)