Re: Question about time accounting at your work

  • From: chet justice <chet.justice@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:09:32 -0400

There are some developers on this list too!

I second what Jeff says though, a good DBA is the one you don't know about
(from the Business perspective), simply because everything just works.

Jeff also mentions branding.  <cough>Wanna buy a
T-Shirt<http://oraclenerd.spreadshirt.com/us/US/Shop/Article/Index/article/DBAoraclenerd-5087309>
?</cough>

Seriously though, I whole-heartedly agree.  We're (worker bees) essentially
becoming entrepreneurs.  We need to learn how to market ourselves and prove
our worth.  You guys/gals (DBAs) practice the art of black magic...as far as
anyone outside your profession goes.  You all manage incredibly complex
systems, essentially stuff no one else wants to do or just can't do.  My
love <http://www.oraclenerd.com/2008/01/love-your-dba.html> and
respect<http://www.oraclenerd.com/2009/03/whos-your-dba.html>for DBAs
aside...:)

Start a blog, join your local IOUG chapter...make yourself (more) visible to
the Oracle/DBA community at large.  That's a start.  (Do you think I've
thought about this much?)

As to the other question, timesheets.  I too, as a lonely developer, have
had to do the same.  Infinitely annoying but I believe it to be necessary
from a management perspective.  The reason being they can better plan for
the future.

chet

(fueled by the Friday Happy Hour)