RE: Question about time accounting at your work

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:23:10 -0400

Chris,

    I've read all of the replies that you got up to today.  I manage a
small group of DBA's and yes we do time accounting against projects for
two reasons that I really can't complain about.

    The first is that we work of capatilizable projects so they handle
our dollars consumption through some sort of accounting magic that's
different from normal time.
    Second that account for our time and a number of other support
personnel against specific systems in a way that allows to justify
replacing one technology with another or an upgrade.  Again some sort of
accounting magic is involved.

    User maintenance is now being broken down by our new ticket system.
What will become of that is yet to be seen.  But I imagine it will end
up as reasons for upgrades, replacements or maybe user training(I hope).

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International