Question about Read-Only Snapshots

  • From: "Koivu, Lisa" <Lisa.Koivu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:36:27 -0400

Hello All,

I need to implement read-only snapshots across a database link - the
simplest replication.  Here's the steps I took:

1.  Created a materialized view log on a table in the source db I want
to snap over

2.  Created a materialized view in the target database selecting over
the db link

3.  Created the refresh job

It seems to work.

My question is, in Step #1:  Does the materialized view log have to be
owned by the same schema that owns the base table?

If I can, I'd like to separate the mv logs so the users who browse the
database aren't confused.  In TOAD, snapshot logs show up under the
TABLES tab.  Sounds silly I know but the less complex this is for the
developers, the better off we will be.

So if I can create the materialized view log under another schema, which
schema do I select from across the database link in Step #2?  The MV
owner or the table owner?

I tried to read the replication manual but it starts with a messy
multimaster and MV implementation.. I don't need that, it was so
confusing.  I want to understand the basics, know how they work, and
start with a simple implementation.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Have a great weekend, everyone

Lisa Koivu

Senior Monkey

Orlando, FL, USA

"The sender believes that this E-Mail and any attachments were free of any
virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent. This message and
its attachments could have been infected during transmission.  By reading the
message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility
for taking proactive and remedial action about viruses and other defects. The
sender's business entity is not liable for any loss or damage arising in any
way from this message or its attachments."