RE: Question about RMAN Datafile + Archivelog Backups

  • From: Martin Brown <martinfbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <chrisdavid.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:47:34 -0500

Consider your retention policy and perhaps needing to recover prior to your
last backup.

From: ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:56:28 -0600
Subject: Question about RMAN Datafile + Archivelog Backups

What are the risks of NOT including archivelogs as part of the RMAN routine
backups?

I have been tasked with reducing our backup sizes and was asked if we had to
include archivelogs in our backups.

I realized that I didn’t have a real good answer to this.  My gut says to
backup everything, but I cannot think of an exceptional reason to include
archivelogs in my backup sets.  When you have to restore you only need the
archivelogs since the last backup, right? Or am I forgetting something
important here?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-354-4799
Email: chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing
the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the
information on any medium.
Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/videos-tours.aspx?h=7sec&slideid=1&media=aero-shake-7second&listid=1&stop=1&ocid=PID24727::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WWL_WIN_7secdemo:122009