Question: SAN Copy 10g ASM disks to 11g ASM Server

  • From: <Christopher.Taylor2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 14:40:49 -0500

We're going to be doing an 11g upgrade and I'm wondering what steps are
required to convert 10g ASM managed raw devices to 11g ASM managed raw devices
(see scenario below):
4 QA databases in 10g on serverA
-    Each QA database has its own disk group in 10g ASM

If I build an 11g ASM instance on serverB and SAN replicate the raw devices to
the same raw device names on serverB (matching serverA), how do I make sure the
11g ASM instance is properly managing these devices from 10g - are there
scripts that have to be run?  In a case where ASM is being used to manage
multiple databases and multiple disk groups, do all diskgroups from 10g have to
be moved to 11g at once, or can I piece-meal them over to the 11g server?

Any other thoughts/concerns/suggestions?

Thanks

Chris Taylor
Oracle DBA
Parallon IT&S