Question Re CIS Guidelines

  • From: "Jason Heinrich" <jheinrichdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 12:33:18 -0500

I'm working on implementing the CIS guidelines for Oracle 10g in a database,
and I'm a bit confused over one of them:

6.02 Cache -- Cache must be emptied at shut down of Oracle.
"Information in caches may be accessed outside of Oracle and beyond the
control of the security parameters."

First of all, they don't mention which caches need to be emptied at shutdown
-- I'm assuming the buffer cache and the shared pool.  Second, how could
information in the cache be accessed after the instance is shut down?  Does
the data still exist in memory until overwritten?  If so, then I guess
someone with the right utility could read those memory addresses and the OS
wouldn't prevent them because the addresses no longer belonged to a process?

--
Jason Heinrich
Oracle Developer/DBA