Question About Space Usage with LONG RAW Column

  • From: "Mark Strickland" <mstrickland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:50:31 -0700

I did a count of the number of blocks of a Kana table (kc_rawtext) with
this query: =20

        select count (distinct substr(rowid,7,9)) from kc_rawtext. =20

The result is 2,198,800 blocks.  However, user_tables.blocks shows
4,113,400 blocks.  I'm trying to figure out the discrepancy.  The table
has a LONG RAW column and it appears that the column is not the last
column in the table (column_id for the LONG RAW column is #3 out of five
columns).  The table grows quickly.  Can someone help me understand
where the space is going?  Thx!

Mark Strickland