Q:To ASM or Not to ASM

  • From: "Amihay Gonen" <AmihayG@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:52:55 +0300

I've some questions on ASM (automatic storage management )

I've read a lot of materials on this issue , I think ASM is a good
concept in simplify the installation & maintenance of oracle database.

I work in R&D in my organization , and we need to decided if to
cooperate ASM instead of some other LVM.

I build a small list of advantanges and disadvantages on ASM , and some
questions . I would like to hear you comments .

Advantanges:
1. Simply configuration and maintenance. (same layout ,with regard to
O/S type . The only change is the numbers of disk per disk group)
2. Reduce extra level of LVM (reduce price , same vendor in all the
stack ).
3. Performance (raw device access , striping in extent level )

disadvantages:
1. New technology . Not wide speared , most IT doesn't have enough
knowledge in this area.
2. Backup & recovery must be done using RMAN .
3. Single point of failure - If ASM instance is down ( , I'm not sure
about this point).

My questions are :
1. Do you think that ASM will be acceptable next year as LVM solution
for oracle database in big companies ?
2. Do you think that ASM can be fine tuned as you can tune in a file
base level installation ?

Amihay Gonen
DBA