QLogic driver setting best practice

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:15:12 -0800 (PST)

Is there any best practice document for setting up the QLogic HBA qla2xxx
driver? On our Red Hat Linux 6, we leave everything except
ql2xextended_error_logging at default. But some parameter values, as viewed
under /sys/module/qla2xxx/parameters, may not be optimal. For example,
qlport_down_retry and ql2xloginretrycount are currently 0.

According to
Configuring device-mapper for CRS/ASM (Doc ID 357472.1)
the recommended value may be 1, while according to
Bug 17580496 : APM DOCS GIVE LINUX 5 INSTRUCTIONS IN THE LINUX 6.3 INSTALL
GUIDE
it should be 45. The actual number may be unimportant as long as there're at
least a few retries.

Another problem with changing these params is that on Red Hat Linux 6, after I
put
options qla2xxx qlport_down_retry=45
in
 /etc/modprobe.d/qla2xxx.conf and reboot, the params are still not
changed. I think I need to rebuild initrd/initramfs.

Any comment is appreciated. (Our kernel is 2.6.32-358.18.1.el6.x86_64, driver
version 8.04.00.08.06.4-k)

Yong Huang