RE: [Q] what differtent between logical standby database and physicalstandby DB?

  • From: Riyaj Shamsudeen <rshamsud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:45:59 -0500

Guess, I should have been careful in my wording :-)
Let me reword it and correct me If I still get this wrong..

Physical standby database applies the changes from the redo log file
just like a recovery does. So, there may be internal operations such as
extent control, segment header changes, index splits etc, which also
would be applied. If there is any corruption in these change vectors
that will be propagated too.

But in a logical standby only non-internal SQL is reconstructed and so,
the possibility of propagating the corruption is far less than the
physical standby. Also, the SQL reconstruction will detect most
corruption possibilities, whereas the physical standby might not capture
most of that.

Thanks
Riyaj "Re-yas" Shamsudeen
Certified Oracle DBA

From: "Riyaj Shamsudeen" <rshamsud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> There are many pros and cons to both. Name a few: logical standby db
> will not propagate redo log corruption, db should be open for logical
> standby etc.

Actually logical standby can propagate redo log corruption, since the
SQL statements applied to standby are constructed from redo, archive or
standby logs using logminer...

Tanel.

-- Desc: Signature

material.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review,
dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any
attachments is strictly prohibited.   If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.