RE: [Q] sqlplus through VPN not work, but tnsping work

  • From: "Hollis, Les" <Les.Hollis@xxxxxx>
  • To: <shrekdba@xxxxxxxxx>, <Carol.Bristow@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:25:46 -0600

What we have done to allow the access thru the firewall is to set up
NATTED IP's.  All of our servers are behind a firewall with IP's in the
167.124.xxx.xxx  range. =20

As all of the 'support' people are typically outside of the firewall, we
had out network engineer setup IP's on the corporate network ( we are
the outsourced IT provider for this company) and NATted them thru the
firewall to allow direct telnet and SQLNET access.

The NATted IPs are in the 165.136.xxx.xxx range.  When I connect to the
DB thru SQLNET, my tnsnames.ora file looks something like this....

RMMTST.WORLD =3D
  (DESCRIPTION =3D
    (SOURCE_ROUTE =3D OFF)
    (ADDRESS_LIST =3D
      (ADDRESS =3D=20
                (PROTOCOL =3D TCP)
                (HOST =3D 165.136.xxx.xxx)     <<=3D=3D=3D=3D=3DThe NATTED IP
                (PORT =3D 1541))   =20
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =3D
      (SID =3D CDRTST)
      (SERVER =3D DEDICATED)
    )
  )

(Yes the SID and alias are different...we consolidated the RMM database
into the CDR database and left alias the same but pointing to the
correct SID...that way all of the apps front ends would not need to be
recoded for the change)

LIS_TST =3D
  (ADDRESS_LIST =3D
          (ADDRESS =3D
             (PROTOCOL =3D TCP)
             (Host =3D 165.136.xxx.xxx)
             (Port =3D 1541)
          )
  )

SID_LIST_LIS_TST =3D
     (SID_LIST =3D
       (SID_DESC =3D
         (SID_NAME =3DCDRTST)
         (ORACLE_HOME =3D /opt/oracle/8.1.7)
       )
Many others removed for brevity.....

We do not try to tunnel thru the firewall directly using sqlnet proxy or
opening up ports.