RE: [Q] sqlplus through VPN not work, but tnsping work

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:18:35 -0600

Dear Dba1
  Many of us have SQL*Plus working through the VPN. Unfortunately I don't
think anyone on the list is a network engineer that understands the details
of VPN configuration. My understanding is that the problem is usually which
firewall ports are open, and that more than 1521 are required. Here is a
link to a discussion that occurred on this forum.

http://www.orafaq.net/maillist/oracle-l/2003/10/24/2077.htm

Another thing to consider is that port 1521 is very well known to hackers.
Ask your network administrator if that port is truly open to the Internet,
because if it is, you'll want to verify your Oracle security.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.