RE: Q? about interviewing

  • From: "Ellis R. Miller" <outlawdba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bunjibry@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Oracle-L'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:54:19 -0600

I returned from vacation the second week of January 2002 to discover an
alleged peer and dear, dear friend who once tried to shoot me in Vietnam
then later claimed to have saved my life resigned for me whilst I was away:
he had stopped by my house the prior week and heard me on the phone
discussing a consulting position...one I had not accepted nor even seriously
considered although I did find myself there several weeks later.

The employee was a 10-year veteran of said organization and the boss was a
regular at the Mayo clinic every other Friday for quadruple bypass night
(after having suffered a severe heart attack that had left him delusional
and absolutely certain I was conspiring with Mr. Lincoln and the cleaning
crew from Nogales to steal his job). Thus, having been recognized for
passing the beta 6th and 7th grade proficiency exams for "No Child Left
Behind" my days were already numbered.

Until the corporate hierarchy rejects that next hip replacement your "IT
Manager" or S&M Slave Master (to your Oracle gimp)...well, your wife really
doesn't want to know you are fantasizing about her sister she just wants to
have a good time when you are backing up her database even if your capacity
planning projections were way off and you have to keep lying about your
uptime.

As a general rule, I try not to disclose to my boss my real name, age, or
home address...anything that would help him almost recognize me in a lineup
as his fourth grade teacher from Jefferson High right before the big war.
Most of the time they tend to forget, unless I miss a meeting, of course,
and generally only ask if they are really secretly fishing for THEIR real
name or the name of that really expensive RDMBS license they just bought
(and by the way what does that stand for): "That's right, you did graduate
college, Ellis, I forgot about that. Hey, that's pretty slick you got a
degree and that must help when you are, are, are...what is it you do for the
department? What year is it Elvis?"

Please put this into context of working in Phoenix, AZ for six years...the
home of the Don Bolles car bomb and original Wal-Mart illegal immigrant
flesh trade.

Don't tell your boss, wife, or her sister.