Re: Q about compressed table

  • From: rjamya <rjamya@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tanel Poder" <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:44:04 -0500

Thanks Tanel,

I just changed it to accommodate for partitioning and it yielded about
1.19TB size.  Considering most data is textual and a good compression
candidate (leading rows have repeating values etc), this is logical.

Thanks once again
Rjamya

On 1/19/07, Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 This query should give you a low-confidence estimate, based on
dba_tables.avg_row_len and num_rows, so your stats must be up to date.

I wrote it just now and it seems that I have missed something as it
predicts the real space usage 3-5% lower when uncompressing the table with
alter table move...

I tested it on freelist managed tablespace, ASSM adds additional overhead.

select
 t.num_rows   -- number of rows in table
 * ( t.avg_row_len  -- average row length
  + 2   -- there's a 2-byte entry in block row directory for each row
  + 3   -- dbms_stats seems to not account for row header bytes
 )
 * ( 100   -- calculate how much there's block overhead
  / ( 100
   - t.pct_free
   - (
    (  select sum( type_size * decode("TYPE", 'KTBIT', t.ini_trans, 1) )
     from v$type_size
     where "TYPE" in (
       'KCBH',
       'KTBBH',