Re: Pssssst! Hey buddy....

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 07:04:50 -0600

<rant>
Unfortunately, the reality is more mundane but no less "entertaining".  We have a new team of outsource DBAs who are finding all sorts of difficulty in installing the contents of the PRO*C demos on our development system.  First, although I have access to the Oracle account in this dev environment, I have described the issue, complete with links and references to MyOracleSupport notes, as well as links to the software download sites on OTN.  Confusion, wariness, more explanations, more confusion???  Then, after they agreed to do the install, they said they were "looking for the CDs".  So, I reminded them that I had provided links to the downloadable zip archives, and went ahead and downloaded the necessary zip file for the "Examples" CD and placed it in a staging area on the target server.  Then, they sent an email stating that the zip file was "not readable by oracle" and proceeded to download the wrong version (11gR2 instead of 11gR1) into a filesystem which filled it beyond 95% full.  Alarms went off, sysadmins went wild, fingers were pointed, etc, etc, etc.  So, after I pointed out the ease by which 777 permissions can be applied to the zip file I had downloaded safely and correctly, they then decided to install the demo files onto another server -- to which our team does not have access.  Since the whole exercise was brought about by our team's need for the demo PRO*C makefiles, it seemed reasonable to point out that installing the demos onto a database server to which we do not have access was a bit ... unnecessary.  Last I heard, one of the outsource DBAs was complaining that "they had only been there a week" and that they did not have X-Windows software on their PC for running the Oracle installer.  Which I guess is understandable until you remember that X-Windows has only been a requirement for all Oracle DBAs since ... maybe ... 1812 or so...
</rant>

So, I felt it might be easier to obtain the desired makefiles this way........

Kellyn Pedersen wrote:
Why do I have the eerie feeling that Tim's request involves a dark alley and a truck with stolen electronics along with this file? :)

~Kellyn