Re: Protecting production from "us"

  • From: Alfredo Abate <alfredo.abate@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HerringD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 12:50:54 -0600

I use the simple approach of Production putty screens being red. All other
non-production putty sessions are the standard black. This seems to have
worked for me so far but obviously won't prevent a command from being
executed against production.

Whenever I have a Production putty screen open and someone comes by my desk
I get the "Oh my that's bright" That's the point for me I want it to be
noticeable, different from the others and usually I'm not in Production too
long to cause eye strain. :)

Alfredo

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Herring, David <HerringD@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Folks,

The whole subject of locking down production, limiting access, etc. comes
up periodically in our list so I apologize if this seems to be a repeat but
in short I'm looking for anyone who's willing to share, on this list or
privately, how they "protect" production from those who support it.

Here's the situation: as with many others, we're (DBA team) asked to
support hundreds of environments. In one situation a DBA (let's call him
Scapebob) had multiple putty sessions open for hosts supporting stage and
production for the same application. In the heat of the moment he typed a
"srvctl stop instance..." command in wrong window - production instead of
stage. Both stage and production are 4-node RACs and initially no one
noticed, not even the client. Scapebob immediately restarted the
production instance and all was fine for about an hr but then some locking
issues came up that caused an outage at which point upper-management heard
of the accidental instance shutdown and our whole team came under fire.

The question/issue/subject I'm researching is how to best avoid this kind
of thing happening again.

· We already have LDAP/RH directory involved on a number of
environments but that doesn't differentiate production vs. lower env. All
require individual accounts and use "sudo -u oracle" to execute more
dangerous commands.

· Should we look into some kind of additional controls where
commands like "srvctl stop…" cannot be run under our own accounts using
"sudo -u oracle" but instead need a different account on production? For
example, normally our unfortunate DBA would use his "scapebob" Linux
account but perhaps to perform a production shutdown he'd need to connect
as "scapebob-rw", a new, special account just for dangerous production
activities.

· The problem in our situation was over confusion with multiple
windows. Do people set a Linux TMOUT to something short like 10 or 15
minutes, to hopefully avoid accidentally leaving production putty sessions
open?

· Beyond changing the linux prompt and text colors (we set $PS1
with escape sequences and various key, env-specific values) do you do
anything else for protection of production?

Thanks in advance for anything shared.

Regards,

Dave