Project Lockdown ...

  • From: stv <stvsmth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 15:51:26 -0600

Does anyone have opinions of this paper?

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/project_lockdown/project-lockdown.pdf

I found the link via Pete Finnigan, who seems to my newbie eyes an
excellent resource. Anway, we're working through this for an Oracle XE
instance that will serve a public-facing PHP application.

Section 1.4 talks about setting umask on certain directories. I'm
familiar with umask, but I'm unaware of any directory capability.
Googling "directory umask" hits a couple of pages where people ask for
such a thing and get unsatisfactory answers. man pages don't lead
anywhere.

The intent of 1.4 is to ensure that bdumps, rdbms/log, rdbms/audit and
some other folders that house dynamically created files will default

to quote:

*  Change umask on background_dump_dest to 0177.

Some trace files are generated here as well as the database alert log.
Permissions should be
rw------- (Read+Write by Oracle software owner only)

So, aside from the Unix question, I was wondering if others have
thoughts on this paper?

--steve smith