RE: Profile (Idle Time Issue)

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:00:22 -0700

Have you set RESOURCE_LIMIT to true, i.e.

ALTER SYSTEM SET RESOURCE_LIMIT = TRUE

Otherwise, the profile can be created and assigned to a user but it won't
actually limit resource usage.

Is there any chance that the developers are configuring a connection pool on
the middle tier?  That would certainly account for 30-40 idle connections if
that corresponds to the size of the connection pool they're using.  It could
also explain why some connections aren't being closed-- they may be used just
often enough not to trigger the profile's idle limit.  It would be a rare web
application indeed that wanted to open and close a physical connection to the
database whenever a web page was requested.  If the number of idle connections
keeps growing over time, of course, there is probably a problem in their
application logic.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.
http://www.ddbcinc.com/askDDBC