Process field on v$session

  • From: "QuijadaReina, Julio C" <QuijadJC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 13:23:39 -0400

All,

For a good chunk of the day now, I've been trying to get all information
I can about this one session that is consuming up to 70 per cent of CPU
on our db server.

Let me give you a little background: We have an application server that
runs a web-based system for class registration. This app server runs
Apache. The task mingler on this app server shows several Apache PIDs
-each db instance has its own separate web service and in turn, each
Apache PID can have several child processes.

Now, in my efforts to track down this CPU-hogging session; on our db
server I see this session as coming from the app server [get this from
v$session.machine.] I can also get some other goodies by joining on
v$process to get the db server PID. I've done pretty good up to this
point, but there is one field on v$session called 'process' of which I
am uncertain. This field shows two numbers separated by a colon (e.g.
2800:2168). A little bit of research indicates that the first number
corresponds to the app server Apache's PID. I have used netstat on my
app server to see if the second number would be a port number. But,
netstat does not show any clients connecting to that port number. Has
anyone figured out what that second number stands for? Is it a client's
identification number of some sort or is it just a random number
generated by Oracle upon establishing a connection? I'll appreciate any
input you may have on this. Thanks in advance!

Julio