Re: Problem with cluster_database parameter

  • From: "Yong Huang" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "yong321@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "saad4u@xxxxxxxxx" <saad4u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 08:01:31 -0700

> I then had to recreate the spfile after editing pfile and

> leaving only following:
>
> *.cluster_database=true
>
> But restarting the database from node 1 via srvctl caused

> issue withinstance 2 (orcl2)

Other people's messages are quite clear. I'm not sure where you got stuck. But
maybe you didn't completely cleanup spfile? You can query v$spparameter to find
out. There should be only one entry for this parameter on a RAC database:

SQL> col sid for a10
SQL> col value for a10
SQL> select sid, value from v$spparameter where name = 'cluster_database';

SID        VALUE
---------- ----------
*          true

If you see more than one
   if their values are the same
      reset i.e. remove redundant ones (those where sid!='*')

   else
      reset the wrong ones (or instances wouldn't start; they wanted to mount
exclusively)

Some parameters must have the same value across all RAC instances. For lack of
a good term, I call them stubborn parameters
(http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/StubbornParameters.txt).
Cluster_database is one of them.

Also, double check the spfile location. Ideally, $ORACLE_HOME/dbs has no
spfileSID.ora, but has initSID.ora with just one line in it: SPFILE='<ASM
location of the actual spfile>'.