Re: Pro-Fortran oracle

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:35:10 -0600 (CST)

> Off track a bit, at the time I was running Oracle on HP-UX and
> Pro*FORTRAN was a major headache. With every new release of HP-UX
> and/or Oracle, I had to recompile both Oracle (since we had some user
> exits) and  of course all of the Fortran code. This usually took me
> several months at a minimum, since the library files changed either

I've whined about similar things before.  Of all the ideas Oracle learned
from DEC Rdb, they should also have grabbed SQLMOD.  It put all the SQL into
it's own source of procedures, creating a separate SQL Module or library to
link with your programs -- of ANY language! -- against.  It made upgrades
orders of magnitude easier.

Maybe Microsoft will invent it someday...

Rich