RE: Private Synonyms

  • From: Jackie Brock <J.Brock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rjgoulet@xxxxxxxxxxx" <rjgoulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 23:34:23 +0000

I wholeheartedly concur with the fishy.

From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Dick Goulet
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 4:30 PM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Private Synonyms

All,

    Is there anyone other than myself that doesn't think this is right.  For
those of you who have missed it, like I did, when Oracle started evolving Fine
Grained Access Controls (FGA) the role of private synonyms changed.  Try this
for starters and I'll make it easy:

1) install the scott account, we'll need emp.
2) create another account, any name you like, I'll use user1.
3) create a third account, I'll call it user2.
4) as scott grant select on emp to user1.
5) as scott grant select on emp to user2.
6) as user1 create a private synonym to scott.emp
7) as user2 "select * from user1.emp;"

If you go back to a V8 database step 7 above will end in an ORA-00942.  If your
on V9 or higher, you get data.

Does this sound fishy???  I've opened an itar with Oracle.  They referenced
note:174368.1 Policies on Synonyms.  But this just seems wrong to me.  Any
other opinion???

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA.