Re: Princeton Software

  • From: Mark Richard <mrichard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:13:24 +1000

Stephen,

I regularly use Princeton Softech's Move for Servers product.  We create
development and test databases (around 20-30 of them) based on a 500
customer extract.  The product works very well as creating relationally
intact subset's of data.  In our scenario there is no RI defined within the
database so I had to manually define about 600 relationships but if you
know your data model this isn't difficult and if you have RI then the
product can just use those definitions as a starting point.

There are some special pre-defined extracts for certain products (Clarify
CRM, Peoplesoft, etc) - so things are a bit difficult if you are looking to
extract from one of those.  For us, the application is totally custom.

The product is very well featured and they continue to add extra features
in patch releases.  Support has always been very good - I used them a lot
initially and they were always responsive and helpful.  It's difficult to
provide a performance benchmark since there are so many variables so I will
just give one stat from us...  We can extract 500 customers (less than 1%
of total) from about 150 different tables, resulting in around 600,000
records, in around 1 hour and can import this stored extract into any
destination in around 15-30 minutes.  This scenario is extracting to a PC
that is several hops away from an Oracle 8i database running on Solaris -
there are ways to get the product and the database closer and presumably
that would help to a certain extent.

If you have more specific queries feel free to pass them through - I've
been using this product for about 2 years and it really solves a problem
that I haven't seen any other real solutions for.

Regards,
      Mark.

                      "Karniotis, Stephen"

                      <Stephen.Karniotis@com        To:
"'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      puware.com>                   cc:

                      Sent by:                      Subject:  Princeton
Software
                      oracle-l-bounce@freeli

                      sts.org

                      05/08/2004 02:20

                      Please respond to

                      oracle-l

Everyone:

   Has anyone used Princeton software to extract databases across databases
and servers?  Any comments??  Need as soon as possible.

Thank You

Stephen P. Karniotis
Compuware Corporation
Direct:            (313) 227-4350
Toll Free:  (800) 462-7740 ext. 74350
Mobile:            (248) 408-2918
Email:             Stephen.Karniotis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web:         www.compuware.com

addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or
disclose
and then destroy it.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
message to anyone.
In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet
e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate
to the official business of Transurban Infrastructure Developments Limited and
CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
them.