Re: Preventative measures against slow V$RMAN_STATUS queries

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 11:00:49 -0500 (CDT)

Hey Ethan,

> Just wondering where you are seeing this. Is it only your query or a system
> initiated query which causes the problem to show up? Is there a query I can
> run to test for the problem? How bad is the performance?

The query I had issues with is listed in MOS 1464844.1:

select p, NULL, NULL
from (select count(*) p from v$rman_status
         where operation = 'BLOCK MEDIA RECOVERY')

It's generated by an MMON slave.  I could reproduce the issue from just the
inner query.  It ran last night by MMON for 15 minutes until TEMP filled.
But without the 1652 event set, I don't know if this was the query that
filled it or something else.

With stats collected, it returns sub-second.

Rich