Prevent Instance Shutdown

  • From: Tracy Rahmlow <tracy.rahmlow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 09:14:10 -0500

Database - 10.2.0.4 Enterprise Edition on AIX 5.3

I would like to verify the existence of a process executing on the
database server and if it is not, allow the instance to shutdown.  If it
is still executing, I would like to prevent the instance from shutting
down.  I realize that this check could be added to a shutdown script;
however, in the event of a manual shutdown (i.e., no script used) I would
like some additional controls to enforce the above requirements.  I was
looking at a before shutdown trigger, but I'm not sure how I would
interrupt the shutdown or verify the existence of the process.  Is anyone
doing something similar or have some alternative solution(s)?

Thanks much!

Tracy Rahmlow | Lead Database Analyst | Infrastructure Delivery Services

Ameriprise Auto & Home Insurance | 3500 Packerland Drive | De Pere, WI
54115-9070
Ameriprise Insurance Company | IDS Property Casualty Insurance Company
Office: 920.330.5164 | Fax: 920.330.5350 | ameriprise.com/autohome

"This message and any attachments are solely for the intended
recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information.
use, or distribution of the information included in this message
and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail and
immediately and permanently delete this message and any
attachments. Thank you."