Re: PreCreate Oracle Tables

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 07:38:41 -0600

When needing to change some parameter or other, I do an export with rows=n
and then bring the *.dmp file up in my editor and select the lines I want
to change.  It's much easier than messing with the badly formatted
indexfile.  In fact, I use the norows *.dmp to do things like capture and
create sequences, grants, etc. - stuff that you can't get from the
indexfile.  Oh, my editor is the ancient Kedit (Mansfield Software), a
knockoff of IBM's Xedit.  I've used it on DOS, OS/2, and Windows for about
20 years now - couldn't do without it.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)
512.935.5929 (pager)

   May have come a long way, but we got a long way to go.
      -- B.W. Stevenson

"Gene Sais" <Gsais@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
02/18/2004 02:46 PM
Please respond to oracle-l

        To:     <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: PreCreate Oracle Tables

Thank you for your response.  I forgot to mention, its not an exact
copy.  I need to move some tables, indexes, change storage, and exclude
one schema.  I do like option #5, can never test backup/recovery enough!
 But, if you had to choose 2 or 3, which would you choose?
>>> Daniel.Fink@xxxxxxx 2/18/2004 3:34:09 PM >>>
Don't forget option 5) Use a backup from production and perform a full
recovery. It not only creates the database, it tests your production
backups and refreshes your recovery skills.

If there are not any changes to the db, I like 4 as it is very quick
and
painless.