Practices for DB Scalability

  • From: C P <carlospena999@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 02:32:29 -0500

List,
I am looking for some of the most common and frequently used techniques to
improve scalability of oracle database systems.

I see that minimizing the work like reducing latch contention, physical
reads and buffer gets are important, I am trying to find out ways to do
that, in both home grown (HG) and third party COTS applications where you
cannot touch the SQL, more specifically in the third party COTS.

Here are some ways I know of to improve scalability:

- use bind variables (HG),
- use connection pooling (HG),
- careful about running big reports/long running queries that could clog IO
and/or flood buffer cache; also could cause problems if a big table is
involved and happens to be frequently updated table resulting in lot more
IOs due to read consistency. (HG and COTS)

- use caching mechanisms in the database (HG and COTS) to improve response
times.
- reduce concurrency where it can be done (HG, how to do that in cots) ,
but how?

Any more additions/modifications?

CP.