RE: Practice of using chopt to disable database options

  • From: "Deas, Scott" <Scott.Deas@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx" <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>, Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:26:58 +0000

Oracle actually uses licensed options like partitioning behind the scenes in
AWR (and maybe in other places), so by disabling the option, you could in fact
be breaking other functionality.  Some of  the options are automatically
installed, and it's easy to use them unintentionally, but you don't get charged
just because they've been installed, only if they are currently in use (and I
don't mean in use by core Oracle functionality that you have no control over).

Any time we've had an license review, we've provided output from
DBA_FEATURE_USAGE_STATISTICS and V$OPTION and have never had any issue where
they've tried to charge us for partitioning on a database where we've only
licensed Diagnostics and Tuning, even though the AWR tables get partitioned
(like WRH$_ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY).

Thanks,
Scott