RE: Ports in listener.log

  • From: kathy duret <katpopins21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:58:11 -0700 (PDT)

Yes the same is true for .Net

--- On Thu, 6/26/08, Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Ports in listener.log
To: "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, June 26, 2008, 12:12 PM

Thanks Tom.

Could the same be true for .NET? We're not using jdbc connections.

Sherrie Kubis
Oracle DBA Supervisor
Information Resources Department
Application Systems Section
Southwest Florida Water Management District
352-796-7211 x4033
mailto:Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.watermatters.org

Good judgement comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Inactive hide details for "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          "Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR)" <Thomas.Mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          06/26/2008 01:08 PM

<Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

RE: Ports in listener.log

Sherrie,

JDBC connections use a "thin" connection that does not require tns. It uses either the server name and sid/service name to connect to the database.

Tom

I have a 10.2 listener listening on port 1522, and see connections established using that. However, I also see connections coming in on other ports, that look like the increment by 1 each time. The connections are coming from a .net application on a windows server through IIS, and that server does not have a tns entry in tnsnames.ora. We removed it from there to specifically prevent connections to this database. Anyone have any idea how this could be happening?

Sherrie Kubis
Oracle DBA Supervisor
Information Resources Department
Application Systems Section
Southwest Florida Water Management District
352-796-7211 x4033

mailto:Sherrie.Kubis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.watermatters.org

Good judgement comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  All E-mail sent to or from this address are public record and archived.  The Southwest Florida Water Management District does not allow use of District equipment and E-mail facilities for non-District business purposes.