Re: Portable DBA: Oracle

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FREEMANR@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 08:26:07 -0700

Freeman Robert - IL wrote:
> Thanks Dwayne! Hope you like it!
>
> It's funny.... after I finally get a copy of a new book in my hands, I
> always see something I missed. For example, it just irks me that in my
> example of the use of dbms_stats.gather_table_stats that I don't include
> cascade=>TRUE in the example.

Don't feel too bad about this one. IMHO, cascade=>FALSE (the default) is
the right choice, especially if you use estimate_percent of less than
100%. Then follow with an explicit gather_index_stats with a full
compute. And any histograms also with a full compute.

--
Regards

Wolfgang Breitling
Centrex Consulting Corporation