RE: Poor performance on bulk transfer across db link -- wrapup

  • From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003@xxxxxxx>
  • To: david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "'Oracle List'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:26:11 +0800

David,

You may need to alter the TCP send & receive buffer sizes for getting the
throughput out of your network.

If the packet roundtrip time in your LAN is 1ms ( 0.001 sec ) and you want
to achieve 40MB/sec transfer rate then your TCP sent/receive buffers must be
at least 0.001 * 40 MB = 40 kB.

In most OSes I've seen, the default TCP buffer sizes are usually very low (
tcp_xmit_hiwat = 8 kB in solaris for example ).

On which OS and Oracle version are you on? Oracle 10g allows you to specify
RECV_BUF_SIZE and SEND_BUF_SIZE for TCP connections in sqlnet.ora ( subject
to OS level max buffer & tcp window settings ). If not on Oracle 10g, then
you need to use OS specific settings.

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/network.101/b10775/performan
ce.htm#i1007572

--