RE: Please advice sql server vs. Oracle

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:14:36 +0100

Comments below

> What is probably missing as a bit of extra information
> is that the restore involves the ENTIRE database, OFFLINE.
> There is no such thing as partial restores, partial backups,
> incremental backups or partial recovery with SS2K.  It's all
> or nothing.  And when all is being restored, you're out for
> the duration.

It is worth comparing apples with apples though, in particular an mssql
database is not equivalent to an oracle database.

As far as partial restores and partial backups go SS2K most definitely does
support both differential backups and file level backups - it doesn't have the
nice block level backups of rman. Obviously if you chose not to use multiple
datafiles and filegroups then you can't use this feature, but the same would be
true in Oracle if you put everything in one tablespace with one datafile.  I
believe that this is new with ss2k - i.e. ss7 doesn't allow this.

The above is all covered in BOL under 'handling large mission-critical
environments'.

You'll see that I've also had a discussion with Dan Morgan on usenet about
mssql and it does sound like I'm turning into an ms apologist, I'm not, honest
guv. On the other hand I'm not an Oracle apologist either - if it does the job
it does the job, and don't let misconceptions and incorrect facts get in the
way - I see far too many folk suggesting that only Oracle can handle enterprise
computing needs and it just aint so.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
Audit Commission
+44 117 975 7805

This email contains information intended for
the addressee only.  It may be confidential
and may be the subject of legal and/or
professional privilege.  Any dissemination,
distribution, copyright or use of this
communication without prior permission of
the sender is strictly prohibited.