Re: Please advice sql server vs. Oracle

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mladen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:34:44 -0500

I was more confused by the TPC chart, from which DB2 was conspicuously
absent. SQL Server was grouped around the bottom, while oracle and
informix were on top. Oracle has more deficiencies then solely the
price. The problem with oracle is lack of usable tools which come
with the database. If I was oracle, I'd develop a plug-in for OpenOffice
which would allow it to import data into a spreadsheet. Also, JBuilder
needs to improve a lot before it is as usable as VB Studio. My favorite
IDE is called "gvim", but today's developers want to have as much
trouble developing forms and reports as I've had using SQL*Forms30 or less.
Draw the form, add in some triggers and fire away. You can do something
like that with the VB studio and you cannot do anything like that
with JBuilder. I think that any comparison which doesn't take into
account the nitty-gritty MS development tools is necessarily flawed.
Database engine is a commodity. I can get one for free, from several
well-known vendors. MySQL and PostgresSQL can beat both SQL Server and
Oracle on price/performance every time. PostgresSQL uses my favorite
language as its internal scripting language. Well, that too is something
to consider. Java is complex bloatware which will predictably lose
to C# and .NOT because of the RAD tools which exist for .NOT side and
do not exist for J2EE side. May be oracle could come up  with a language
that truly is open source? On the other hand, supporting  PHP is an excellent
move that I must applaud. I'm starting to do things with PHP and oracle and I
must say that I like it. I may even write a book about PHP and Oracle, who
knows?

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA