RE: Please a parameter to disable undo, like _disable_logging

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jreyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:28:57 -0400

In general, the answer is that it's not possible.  UNDO is integral to
Oracle's recovery processes.

Consider what would happen without undo if the instance crashed
unexpectedly....what happens to
partially complete transactions?  W/ undo, instance recovery will read
undo and roll back any
incomplete transactions.  Without undo, there would be no recourse.
That's just one simple
example, I'm sure there are many more.

The only time undo can be "disabled" is in the case of direct load
inserts.  This only
works because brand new blocks are being formatted and added to the
database.  There is
no "before image" required in this case.

Direct load inserts are well-covered in the docs, so I won't go into
further detail.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

PS  There used to be things called discrete transactions, but they were
deprecated before
I really learned what they were or how they worked.  I'm pretty sure
they don't even exist
in 9i....maybe not even in 8i, I'm not sure, never really used them.

Mark J. Bobak
Oracle DBA
ProQuest Company
Ann Arbor, MI