Re: Plea for Query Tuning Help

  • From: Charlotte Hammond <charlottejanehammond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 13:10:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

Just to conclude on this topic - many thanks again for
all the wonderful suggestions.

I did have some success with the cardinality hint but
it only worked in the toy case that I'd presented to
the list where I was joining against a single row
table.

In the messy real world I didn't actually want to
perform such filtering (down to a single row) until at
least one level of nesting further out and I couldn't
quite get it to work.

What did work was a bit of tweaking of the NASTY_VIEW
itself so that I did not join on ID alone but on
another supplementary column for which I knew the
return value in all the cases I was interested in.
This constrained the join/view further than id alone
and everything started to behave.  I feel this is
almost cheating (and I'm sorry I didn't even mention
this was a possibility - didn't occur to me
yesterday!) but it does the job.  I've not yet
explored the plans to see exactly what's changed.

I've learned a lot of tips and techniques and received
a lot of hints (ha ha!) from this thread so once again
a big thank you for corresponding!

Charlotte

http://mail.yahoo.com