Re: Permission Denied

  • From: Carol Dacko <dackoc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pete Sharman <pete.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 15:04:34 -0400

Thanks for your work on this. We appreciate it!

Carol

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 3:00 PM, Peter Sharman <pete.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Andy and I went a few rounds offline on this and the associated “Cloud
Control patching” thread, and you’ll be pleased to know that Andy won. J

Seriously, just circling back with the resolution here. The problem was
Andy was using a named credential that had the normal user set to the
Oracle software owner (which is of course correct) but also had RUNAS set
to root. The end result of that was that OPatch was installed under the
Oracle software home as root, not as oracle, and as we all know that will
break shit. L

I spoke to some of my patching colleagues in Product Management and they
said it is actually documented somewhere that you should not have RUNAS set
like this. I didn’t bother searching for that particular documentation as
both myself and the relevant product manager agreed the product should not
work that way. It should at least provide an error that you should not
have RUNAS set, and more preferably should install OPatch as the Oracle
software owner as that information is already specified in the named
credential.

This has been logged as bug# 21699304.

Pete

[image: Oracle logo]

Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS / DBLM
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA

Phone: +61262924095 | | Fax: +61262925183 | | Mobile: *+61414443449
<%2B61414443449>*
Email: pete.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx Twitter: @SharmanPete LinkedIn:
au.linkedin.com/in/petesharman
Website: petewhodidnottweet.com

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA