Re: Periodic Stats Collection -- CBO Stats Myth? -- delta refresh of statistics

  • From: "jaromir nemec" <jaromir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 14:58:45 +0200 (CEST)

Tim,

Thanks for your response.

> As usual, it depends on what you mean by "delta refresh" of the
> statistics.

By "delta refresh" I mean the update of the object statistics based only
on the changes of the underlining object done after the last gathering of
statistics. This is an analogy to fast refresh of MV based on the MV log
only. It is therefore something more than the MONITORING flag that
controls the triggering of gathering only.

I was only wondering why this concept is not supported. Similar algorithms
are IMHO used while maintaining the GLOBAL_STATS=NO statistics on table
level based on the partition level statistics (esp. for the non trivial
task of maintning distinct value etc.)

Regards,

Jaromir