Re: Performance tuning approach for connection pooling apps !

  • From: Lei Zeng <leizeng2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx" <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "raja.s28@xxxxxxxxx" <raja.s28@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 15:13:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi:

For performance data in AWR or ASH, there are many directions to check (I call
them â??dimensionsâ??).
- Session, application (username, module, program), or service
- Wait event
- Sql
- Sql plan
- Object
- Io stats
- GC stats (if it is RAC database)

For application using connection pooling, you may not be able to drill down to
a specific user session. however, you still have options to go down to
application level or service level. For example, if you know the connection
pooling is using a specific username or service name to connect to database,
you can easily find out â??top sqlâ??, â??top sql planâ??,â??top objectâ?? for
that username or service by filtering them out of ASH.

The ASH is â??session levelâ?? data, in which the â??sessionâ?? means several
things such as user, module, action, program, service, etc.

The AWR is â??instance levelâ?? data, and it tells you what the overall
database performance is. You will not able to drill down to specific session,
however, if you get some ideas from ASH of how your application behaves, you
can compare that with the AWR to see how it contributes to the overall
performance. For example, one of the â??top sqlâ?? in AWR could also show up in
the â??top sqlâ?? of your application in ASH.  Plus, the database load profile
in AWR can be broke down into service level, which is a benefit if your
application uses service.

Please feel free to try DBspeed and it is good at dimensional analysis of AWR
and ASH data. If you are currently having performance issue, you have more
options like tracing â?? you can trace by sql id, or module, etc.

Lei
DBspeed  http://www.dbspeed.com/product.html